Friday, January 23, 2009

Ankle Update

My ankle still hurts along the back and at the top of my incision. I still have quite a bit of swelling and I am trying to be extra careful not to make my Achilles tendon issue worse. I am still taking pain meds (Percocet) at night and sometimes towards the end of the day. I am still in the Cam Walker when I am up and about. Here is what my ankle looks like today.



I thought I would blog about what I found to be very helpful during this ordeal. Let me say I have no invested interest in any of the products or companies I have listed below. I only listed this information if I knew the product might be hard to find otherwise.

First take a quick peek at this YouTube video. It really made me smile. Tendon Surgery

Here is the "Must Have List"
Cam Walking Boot (currently using)


One thing I did do was add mole skin inside where my stitches and tender spots were. This helped with the rubbing and friction. They sell this at any drug store and Wally World. I recommend getting the Molefoam.


Waterproof Leg Protector (a must have) www.drycorp.com

I used this when I had my cast and during my second surgery when I was still wrapped in bandage and I couldn't get my stitches wet. Here is a video Dry Pro Video




This slips over your cast or leg and you just pump the bulb until all the air is out and you can swim, bath, shower without worry. When you are done you just put your hand the top and it breaks the seal. I have bathed and swam in this.


Foam Contour Pillow - This is a head pillow, but I use it for my leg. It is the perfect fit and it is soft. If your ankle is painful in places this is perfect. They sell them everywhere.
Cryopak Flexible Ice Blanket - I found these at Rite Aid. Not sure if anyone else sell them. They are very thin, flexible and can be cut to size. I used them when I had my cast on. I slid them down in my cast (I know this is a no-no!). You will not be able to get them down to the ankle, but it feels so good on the lower leg. I used a very thin hand towel around it. They only stay cold for so long and it is not a intense cold, just a nice cold.







Shower Chair
- This was another must have. I tried balancing on one foot, sitting on the edge of the tub and pretty much any other way to shower. My seat came with a back, which I removed. I also invested in a hand shower.









I hope this was helpful to someone.

On another note, I am going to attempt to return to work on Monday. My only concern is the pain factor and trying to keep my leg elevated. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers.










1 comment:

  1. Hi Jan,

    I had a ligament in my right ankle replaced 5 weeks ago tomorrow. I wish I would have found your blog earlier as you would have saved me some lesson's. My cast comes off a week from tomorrow and I want to walk so much. I am worried about pain and I have other questions. My email is Iamrzanne@gmail.com

    Thanks for the blog.

    Rozanne

    ReplyDelete