Saturday, February 7, 2009

Newest Update ...Bad News


Well, I have an infection in my ankle. The spot that would not heal is now infected. Yuck! This is how I found out. I was told my my therapist to massage my ankle to get the swelling down and to help loosen the scar tissue. So, I started to massage my ankle and all of a sudden it just exploded like a volcano. A whole lot of fluid came shooting out literally. It was gross. Sorry for being so graphic. I went to work the next day and instead of just the little leakage from my incision, it keep soaking the gauze pad and it was very painful. I called the doctor and they told me to come right in. They tested the drainage, said I had an infection and packed my wound. This was very painful! Basically they take a long piece of gauze (1/4 wide) and a long q-tip thingy and just poke this stuff in the wound. It is suppose to wick out the bad stuff and debrided (sp?) the wound. I just know it hurts like he**. Then they tell me no therapy, keep it elevated, take antibiotics (Kefex) and...that I need to repack the wound once a day! The doctor also told me to make sure I take the pain meds 1/2 before we repack it. So, the first day, my loving husband Jake tried to pack it. I unbandaged my ankle and the first thing he said was "Oh, I can't do this." I said "You have to". So, he put on the gloves on and removed the old packing and tried to repack it. He kept pulling out what he packed in by mistake, so I don't think we did it as well as we should have. It was so much harder than it looked, and you have to be so careful not to contamiate the gauze. We have done it twice, but I have decided to have a visting nurse come out to do it once a day. Hopefully she will come tomorrow, so Jake wouldn't have to do it again. :)

1 comment: