Friday, February 13, 2009

Well, I thought I would give an update. It has been a long week. I went to the doctors on Wednesday and was told that my wound will be a very slow healing process. Taking weeks and weeks...at least 1 month and my wound would slowly heal from the inside out. I am so devastated by this. The pain is intense and I am home bound. I was also having heart palpitations and ended-up finding out that my pulse and blood pressure is high. I had an EKG done...Thank God it was OK. I am now taking a beta blocker. The doctor thinks it is due to the pain level. This week has not been good.
The visiting nurse finally came on Tuesday along with a Worker's Comp rep. She basically treated me like I was 100 years old and kept putting words in my mouth. It was kinda creepy. She told me how to get out of my house in an emergency, to keep a flashlight next to me, hold on to things when I walk. I know they are obligated to do that, but it was a little annoying. She was also suppose to bring everything with her (to pack my wound) and of course she wasn't prepared. I also think she was more concerned with "her" getting contaminated than keeping my wound sterile. She put her gloves on and then picked up her pen, touched stuff other than my wound care things. She also hardly packed anything into the wound and acted like she had never done it before. Even the Worker Comp lady seemed concerned. I called her later and told her we would pack and care for my wound. She said that they would still have to come out a couple times a week to check it. So the nurse is coming in a few. No new pics today. The wound looks pretty much the same. I am out of work again which is a whole other subject. Happy V Day!

6 comments:

  1. Hi again :),

    Just checking in your blog this week, and am dismayed that you are having more problems! Once again, I do really appreciate that you share this. My MRI was done this week, and am going in with boyfriend on Tuesday to hear the verdict. They did call the day after the MRI to confirm that I was indeed still using the boot. I don't think this bodes well. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog. WOW is all I can say. I injured my peroneal tendon about 6 months ago. Unfortunately my doctors were going down the wrong track and sent me to a neurologist, thinking the burning sensation was nerve related. Well after MANY painful tests etc. I took things into my own hands and used GOOGLE and went to an orthopedic surgeon who did an MRI and diagnosed me FINALLY. I am in a boot and have been for 5 weeks. I am trying to avoid surgery at all possible costs. I am scared to death of surgery. My tendon is fraid and not torn in half so we are trying to let it heal and the scar tissue will hopefully get it back to "normal". Anyway, I have read bits and pieces of your blog and when I get a quiet momemnt (I have a 2 year old son) I will read it all. Thank you for sharing your story. There is NOTHING on the net from a patients prospective, that I know. I have many questions for you but first I will read entire blog to see if they are answered. Look forward to "getting" to know you, wish it were on different terms. :)

    Julie Ann
    sergejulie@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please feel free to ask any questions. I will try my best to answer them. I will pray for both of you (Kimberly and Julie Ann). I will ask for your quick healing and patience with your recoveries. Blessings and Thank you for your support. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will also pray for you. Thank you.

    I was wondering how you got nerve damage? Is that common? When you torn your tendon was surgery the only option? I am thinking I should just have the surgery but I thought it was a 6-8 week recovery but now reading online I am so mistaken. UGG. My biggest issue and hurry is that we are adopting a baby and the due date is May 23 and I am thinking should I stay in my boot and pray for the best or hurry up and have surgery and I thought after a month or 2 I would be ready to go. My doctor has not given me any surgery details. When I first went in he put me in the boot and started me on Physical therapy, which about killed me so after week 3 and horrible swelling. I said no more. I went to him and now we are trying 3 weeks in boot, lots of rest, anti inflammatory meds, no driving (of course my right ankle). In my heart of hearts I do not feel it is getting any better. I think if I would have done this 6 months ago maybe but now, I am not sure. I cannot believe all 9 doctors I went to kept thinking it was nerve related and gave my lyrica (that was horrible, and I will not take again). I trust my doctor now (he is sports medicine and everyone says that is good) I hope so. I have to keep my attitude up because I am really getting frustrated with all of this. I need to drive and have a life and this is just taking too long. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie, To answer your question about my nerve damage. Yes, it is very common after this type of surgery. Basically the nerves are moved quite a bit during surgery. (If you can stomach it,look at my first post. There is a pic of what they actually do during the procedure.) They pull the tendon out of the ankle to repair it and when it is back in the ankle, it can heal and adhere to the nerves. Originally, the doctor though I had a Neuroma (This is like a cyst or tumor that can develop). My Sural nerve was entrapped in the tendon as it healed. The pain was very weird and the doctor said it is similar to when you get shingles. I couldn't have anything touch my leg and then other times I needed to have it tightly wrapped. My toes wouldn't bend, they just stuck straight out. It was really weird. On another note, I too took Lyrica. I didn't think it helped at all with the pain and I gain weight very quickly on this. Please know that I will keep you in my prayers. Keep me posted. Hugs, Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can any anyone told me that the surgery cost is around how much?? Cos i having this problem for 2 month ago..! I m suffering every night..! It really painful..! Now i cosider to take surgery as soon as possible..! But i worry about the costing..!

    ReplyDelete