Saturday, March 28, 2009

Sorry for Not Posting in a While :)


Where have I been? I kinda took a break from my computer. I was totally confused and conflicted about my decision to start working again. Was I really ready? Will I get freaked out if my ankle hurts too much? How will I fit in my dr's appointments and therapy...with everything I will be doing? Is my boss resentful that I have been out and filed a Worker's Comp Claim? Then to top it off my boss throws out this crazy idea. I'll get to all this later.

I also went to the dr's and got the OK to go back to work part-time. I kinda had to nudge him a little to let me. My ankle is almost completely healed from the staph infection...no more packing it. Yeah! I am wearing the latest fashion... an "air cast" (see pic - not my leg) with a "lovely Ace bandage" around it and using a "4 prong hip black cane". LOL! I have also started therapy again and will be going 3 x a week. What I hate about PT is the thought of being tortured for my own good. What I love is they had me use this really cool machine. It is like an eliptical, but you sit and use it. It works your arms and legs without the stress. I am taking Advil twice a day for my aches and pains and it seems to be working quite well.

Work is another story. I give you a little background on the situation. I am an insurance agent/operations manager/tech geek/problem solver/analysist for a small insurance company. Being out of work has been difficult both for me and the agency I work for. I also knew that no matter what I did prior to being out of work, my gap would be either filled or ignored. My boss basically said "I need you back" and "you are the only one who understands this stuff". So, when I met with him about returning to work, he threw out the idea of working from home. My first thought was ugh! Please understand that I am not ungrateful, but I was looking forward to getting back in the office. I have been isolated so long with this ankle. I love being in the middle of all the hustle and bustle. I miss my customers and the challenges that are thrown at me. So, I was a little sad and concern. How would I do all this from home? Then I kinda sat with it for a few days and realized how lucky I was! My job will be retention, care review calls, revenue tracking, developing processes, analyzing and helping to get a new LLC Business in place. Growing our agency to a 1.5 million dollar agency over the next year. How exciting is that! :) When I looked at the +s and -s I couldn't help but see that this was a good thing. My boss like me and thinks I rock! He also told me that I was the only one in our office that he would offer this situation to. He has full confidence and trust in my decision making process. He has already brought over all this equipment fax/copier/scanner, installed new phone line, cordless headset, new desk. I am waiting for my new computer too! I will meet with him on Wednesdays and go into the office for our weekly Thursday meetings. I still am not complete sure how to begin, but I am in a sense, creating the wheel, so it will be my baby. Ok... and being able to work my own hours, take a day off to go to the beach, work in my sweats, pjs, short or whatever, sit in the backyard to make my calls....aint so bad either. I hope my girls Julie and Kimberly are doing well and welcome the newcomers to my blog. Hugs and Happy Saturday!

13 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Glad to see you posting again! So, are you walking now? Is it painful? I got my ten stitches out last week and hope that the Dr. says I can become WB this week, but am afraid of the pain. He also better say that I can drive!

    It sounds like you have an excellent situation with your work and that you are healing nicely!
    Take care,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I just posted a long post and it lost it.

    Let's see if this will even post. UGGG

    Glad to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sure now it posts???

    I got my 18 stitches out and am in an ugly black boot and in 3 weeks I go back and hopefully will be in a shoe.

    Things are going well, at least I sure think so.

    Hugs and really missed you!!!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    Just an updeate--I am now walking in my almost knee high Aircast! Today was my first excursion out and I am so very tired. Back to work on Monday. Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. G'day There! Was wondering where you had got to? I had my surgery this tuesday and though the cast has only been on for four days I'm tired of it already! Surgeon says it can come off after Easter and I can start weight bearing on the ankle again! Yippee!
    Glad to hear your infection has almost healed, you really had a rough trot you poor thing.
    William from Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that you posted this blog. I have had two surgeries so far. First one was Dec of 07 second was Sept of 08. On the second surgery I was in a wheelchair for 2 months. I am having pain and swelling again but I am reluctant to go back to the doctor. I am very interested in your progress please continue to post.

    Thierry in Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just ran across your blog and am wondering if/how the surgery worked for you.
    After several years of no doctor knowing why my ankles popped, I went to a new podiatrist who diagnosed peronneal tendon subluxation, almost immediately.
    I am due to have surgery on the first ankle in two weeks, followed by an unknown amount of time for physical therapy, before they repeat the process on the other one.
    I am nervous about long term results, as I have hyper-mobility and feel that this can happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad I found your blog! I am a 30 yr old mother of 4 and an insurance agent. I had surgery on 11/06/09 and now trying to recover. It has been a horrible process and I'm pretty bummed about it. Podiatrist I have seen since Jan. kept telling me it was tendonitis. 2 wks after delivering my 4th daughter I had an MRI and Dr. said "just tendonitis" Had a second opinion from Ortho Dr. he decided to do surgery to remove cyst and low and behold it was a peroneal tendon tear and it had also flattened. Now I'm worried about my recovery, taking care of my girls, getting back to work, and not being able to drive. Very stressed, nice to hear someone has been through it and made it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow.. you have been through so much! I hope that you are able to get back to your "previous" life soon.. I am going through a bad case of peroneal tendonitis right now that is driving me crazy. Am seeing my podiatrist again tomorrow, but I'm unsure as to what he will do for me. Have a wonderful Easter! He is Risen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there. I just want to say thank you so much for sharing your recovery journey so far. I had been searching online for others that have shared similar surgery to what I had 4 weeks ago. I needed peroneal reconstructive surgery with autograft on my right ankle and it has been pretty crazy. my peroneal tendon tissue was actually dead and needed to replaced with tendon from my knee.
    I can totally relate to all of the issues you've posted about getting around, showering, money problems and stress on family that it makes me feel utterly alone in the world. I only wish I could be taking pain medication to help ease things but I have terrible psychotic reactions to narcotics.
    Lyrica has been helpful with the nerve pain and healing though, the weight gain is just aweful. I'm also having a similar fears about my job and losing it when I'm able to return. My job requires me to be on my feet and able to lift, carry and drag hoses and drive large trucks.
    I will continue to keep you in my prayers for healing. I also have photos of post op and my cool cast that I'm currently sporting. Did you ever have problems with itching inside the cast? I'm going into my 2nd week of wearing it and it's driving me up the wall! I wish you all the best and if you want you can email me at thepianokid@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad I found this - thanks for putting up. Just had my Peroneal Tendon rupture (right foot) surgically repaired. Going through many of the same issues. Working as a consultant, I've been able to work my schedule around commuter and needed rest day issues. I'm so stir crazy I can't stand it.

    Stopped taking pain meds right away. Made my brain too fuzzy. Just taking advil and dealing with it.

    Have been non-weight bearing since 5/29/10 (date of injury). Dr. will see in another 10 days if I can start weight bearing and physical therapy.

    Would love to hear how and what PT worked for any of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI!

    I couldn't find a link to contact you directly, so I thought I'll just comment here. I have just undergone the same surgery as you had (initially) with also a Brostrom procedure at the same time. Im only 1 week into recovery with a very light hard cast on bed rest for 3 weeks.

    Thanks for putting your experiences on here - your right, there isnt much online about it so its good we can share our experiences here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to have found this blog! I am two weeks (today) out from peroneus brevis and longus repairs with fibular groove deepening. I've been on bed rest this entire time. I'm having quite a bit of burning and throbbing pain still. I'm going to my first follow up with the surgeon on Friday. It has been great to read a personal experience.

    ReplyDelete