Friday, March 13, 2009



I have had an interesting week. I had to have a minor procedure done (nothing related to my ankle or shoulder) and have been having sleep issues since. I think the cortisone injection I had for my shoulder, may have something to do with my lack of sleep. I recall when I had the last shot, I had a little too much energy for a few days and didn't require much sleep. Too bad all this extra energy is going to waste. lol!
I have decided to begin to wean off my pain medication. I have been on some form of pain meds since April 08. Mostly Percocet or Hydrocodone. I have been very diligent about not over using my meds, but I did notice that when I had to stop taking them for a few day (I had a minor procedure done on Tuesday), I got very achey and almost flu like symptoms.
Back when I had my first ankle surgery (July 08), I only stayed on the pain meds for first couple of weeks and then only at night when I really needed them. Then when all the this nerve pain started, the pain meds did nothing to help, so I stopped them and started taking the Lyrica (which did nothing but add a few pounds). I also was back to work, so I used ice and swimming as an alternative to relieve some of the pain. This time, the pain has never ebbed. It has stayed at a steady ungodly level. I was taking 2 Percocets three times a day to equal 6 pills total per day. This became my routine. First dose was when I would get my wound packed (a necessary evil), then usually I would take a second dose late in the day and again at bed time. This has been my routine since this last surgery (Dec 15th, 08). I actually tried to step down to the Hydrocodone a few weeks ago and found it did very little as far as pain management.
Now that I am almost done with my Percocet script and I have changed my wound care to right before bedtime, I feel it is a good time for me to start to deal with the day to day pain, in other ways. I will still probably take something right before my wound changes, basically because it hurts like h*ll. Hopefully, when the wound is completely closed up, I can resume swimming, which I am counting on to help with the daily pain management.
I wake up in pain, so I know that what I am doing now is not really managing it well anyways. I know I am not mentally addicted to the meds, but my body has been accustomed to them for so long, that it is not in my best interest to continue to take the meds for the little relief I gain. My feeling on this is that "Yes it su*ks to know that I do need pain meds to be somewhat pain free", and "No life is not fair".
For Kimberly and Julie and any one else with this injury, "Take the pain meds" you need them until you are at least a few weeks out from surgery and maybe longer, as in my case. Don't be afraid to manage your pain the way you need to. My journey is at a much different place right now and this is what is best for me. Blessings and Happy Friday!

3 comments:

  1. Hi guys, well I got a call from the surgeon and do not go in until Tuesday for my first post op appt. He said I will have this cast/splint on for 2 weeks and the boot/walking cast for 4 weeks and be in a shoe from there but might have swelling for 3 months. He does a 'new' kind of surgery and that is why the time to heal is shorter -- if all goes well. He cleaned up my tendon and wrapped it in a cadavers skin to help it heal instead of taking a tendon from another part of my body. Sorry if I have told you all this, drugs are not helping my brain. The first days I was doing percocet every 4 hours on the dot and 4 ibuprofen every 8 hours. Now I am on 1-2 hydrocodone every 5-6 hours. I do not take them like clockwork now. But at first you have to cuz you will never catch up to the pain. I am feeling great, trying to have a good attitude but I have missed so much of my life in the last 6 months and it hurts so much not to participate. I am trying to get excited about the end of this journey with my ankle. It just seems to never have an end. I am excited but scared to see my ankle for the first time on Tuesday. I am praying for you guys and the step down from meds. Hugs and Blessings to you girls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ladies,
    Going to my first post op appointment tomorrow and am scared/excited to see foot. will let you know. short note for now. not comfortable at the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'day,
    I've read your story about your ankle injury with great interest. I fell off the back of my truck on 1st of April last year, and am scheduled for surgery on the 31st of March. Almost a year to the day from the original injury. I was diagnosed with a severe sprain, and only took two days off work before returning on the Monday. My ankle was sore every afternoon after work, and walking was difficult but worse was how weak my left ankle became-it has no lateral stability at all and even a small difference in height of a surface I walk on of say 1 inch was enough to make it 'roll' to the outside. I put up with the discomfort for eleven months before agreeing to my Wife's pleas to see a Doctor about it.
    I went back to the original diagnosing Doctor I saw and he was surprised at the amount of swelling still evident and ordered an MRI after placing me on restricted duties at my workplace. The MRI showed an intermediate longitudinal split/tear in the Peroneal Brevis tendon, and abnormal lateral collateral ligament, and intermediate tear in the anterior talofibular ligament with swelling in the Achilles tendon as well. I fear that I may done more damage by not having it seen to earlier, I even have pain in the calf muscle as well now. I'm glad your ankle is finally healing, you've had a very bad time of it!

    Was your second operation required because the first one wasn't done correctly? I drive a truck for a living here in Sydney, Australia and have to manhandle a lot of heavy awkward freight. My leisure time is riding and tinkering with motorcycles, and I need a functioning left ankle to change gears and not fall over when I stop moving!

    All the very best for your continuing recovery,
    William.

    ReplyDelete